From cricket, to a delicious barbeque or pool party, nothing says Australian summer more than an afternoon with friends and family in the backyard.
Here are three DIY ideas you might not have tried before to take your summer entertaining up a notch.
- Going to the outdoor cinema is a popular summer activity, but can quickly become costly when you consider the cost of tickets, snacks and travel.
- Make the most of your backyard by creating your own outdoor cinema. All you will need is a large white sheet to hang from your washing line or projector screen, speakers, a projector (which can be purchased for less than $20 from Amazon for a basic phone projector), a device to connect to the projector (e.g. laptop or mobile phone), an internet connection and your chosen streaming service.
- Just launched in Australia, Disney+ has a huge range of family favourites from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic and is sure to have something for everyone! Best news is that you can sign up to a free 7-day trial!
- Once you’re set up, you can count on hours of entertainment into the night! You could make a special event out of it – get out the beanbags, ready the popcorn and invite some friends over for a movie night with a difference!
- Want to get away over summer but are short on time or on a tight budget? You could create the ultimate camping experience in the comfort of your backyard! Not just fun, camping in the backyard is convenient too! Sleep under the stars and a hot shower is just a few steps away.
- Pitch your tent, switch off technology and have some quality time with your loved ones. You can even recreate the camping favourite of roasting marshmallows with your barbeque! To barbeque marshmallows simply skewer your marshmallow and hold close to the hotplate. The heat from the barbeque will turn those marshmallows nice and gooey. For something a little different, you could even try making s’mores in a pan!
- For the family that holds hidden talents, why not showcase them! Set up a small stage, utilising your existing deck or create a stage out of wooden pallets and give family and friends the opportunity to put on a show. Whether you have a karaoke battle, charades performance or a talent quest, the stage will be a popular addition all summer long, for both kids and adults alike!
- You could even invite friends and neighbours around for a gold coin donation and fundraise for a cause close to your heart. From bushfire donations to a Christmas appeal for the Smith Family, you can always find a great cause at this time of year.
The opinions expressed in this article are the opinions of the author(s) and not necessarily those of State Custodians.
See if you qualify. To get a more accurate idea of how much you can borrow with State Custodians, click here.